Wisdom teeth removal is recommended if your wisdom teeth are causing you pain and discomfort. Dentists generally suggest wisdom teeth surgery if you experience the following issues:
- Tooth is unable to erupt fully
- Tooth causes pain and infection
- Tooth is decaying
If the pain affects your daily life, we recommend that you visit your dentist as soon as possible to prevent the problem from getting worse.
At Alex Bratic Dental Care, we can assess the position of your teeth using digital X-rays and determine if there are developing or potential problems present. Then, we will discuss with you the ideal and comfortable method we can use to remove the impacted tooth.
Symptoms of Impacted Teeth
- Pain – because the wisdom tooth needs to squeeze in next to adjacent teeth, it can cause dental pain.
- Gum infection – impacted teeth can also cause the bacteria to become trapped around them, putting the gums at risk of infection. This can result in pain, swelling, and general illness.
- Tooth decay – the location of impacted teeth makes it hard for you to clean them. As a result, brushing and flossing can be difficult. Because of this, the tooth is susceptible to tooth decay.
- Cyst – cysts can develop around the gum of an impacted tooth. In serious cases, a tumour can develop inside the cysts, which can cause a fractured jaw.
The Wisdom Tooth Procedure
Alex Bratic uses X-rays to evaluate if there is enough room for your teeth to grow. At Alex Bratic Dental Care we use modern X-rays, which allow a reduced dose of radiation and an instant image. After taking X-rays, we will determine if the tooth can be easily removed or not.
Depending on the case, the dentist will decide whether the extraction will be done at the clinic or by another specialist (an oral surgeon). Once the procedure is complete, we will provide you with detailed post-operative instructions to help you recover easily and quickly.
Wisdom Tooth Removal and Smoking
If you smoke, it’s advisable to quit for a few days after wisdom teeth procedure. Substances in cigarettes are noxious to the extraction site and can cause delay in healing.
In the news
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), smoking can also affect your sense of taste and smell and delay your recovery after a tooth extraction or other dental procedure.
In addition, the tar from cigarette smoke stains your teeth, causes bad breath and can discolour your tongue. The only way to remove these stains is with a professional cleaning in the dentist’s office.
Wisdom Tooth Consultation in Beenleigh
If you think you need a wisdom tooth removal procedure, we invite you to visit us here at Alex Bratic Dental Care for a thorough diagnosis. Removing impacted teeth not only keeps the pain away, it can also avoid potential dental problems that are related to the partially erupted teeth. Alex Bratic Dental Care uses advanced techniques to effectively and safely address complicated cases such as impacted wisdom teeth.