A knocked out, or avulsed, tooth is a serious dental emergency. It’s painful and time is very crucial in addressing it.
If you or your loved ones accidentally knocks out a tooth, Alex Bratic Dental Care is your trusted Beenleigh dentist. Serving the local community for over 20 years, your team at Alex Bratic Dental Care is quick and efficient.
Alex Bratic Dental Care offers comfort, convenience, and excellent care for your dental needs, particularly during dental emergencies.
Knocked Out Tooth: Causes And Effects
A knocked out tooth can be caused by a number of things but most of which can be summed up to:
- Work related accidents
- Sports related accidents
- Vehicular accidents
If left unattended, a knocked out tooth can have drastic effects on your remaining teeth, including:
- Bite position/capacity changes
- Chewing difficulty
- Affects face and smile aesthetics
- Bone loss
- Remaining teeth shifts out of position
What To Do
In case of a knocked out tooth, here’s what you can do:
- Secure the tooth immediately. Pick it up by the crown and do not hold the root. Remember, damage can affect chances of re-implantation.
- If the tooth is dirty, wash it with clean water for no more than 10 seconds. Do not scrub, scrape, or rub the tooth. If it is clean, do not do anything to it.
- After rinsing your mouth, reinsert the tooth in place and gently bite down on a clean piece of cloth. Do this if it is a permanent tooth.
- For knocked out baby tooth, do not reinsert because this can damage the developing permanent tooth underneath. Only your dentist can reinsert a knocked out baby tooth.
- Soak the tooth in saline solution, saliva, or milk on your way to the dentist.
- Call and visit your dentist within 30 minutes of the injury.
Re-Implantation At Alex Bratic Dental Care
Your dentist will check the severity of the damage. If the tooth is reinserted, an X-ray will determine if it is reinserted properly. Your bite capacity will be assessed and similar tests will also be conducted.
If you dentist does a re-implantation, they will have to use a splinting technique to keep the tooth in place. This could stay for days or weeks depending on the damage.
Recovery will be closely monitored to make sure that your tooth is back in shape and that there is no infection.
Comfort, Convenience, and Excellent Emergency Care at Alex Bratic
Alex Bratic Dental Care provides families with instant, effective relief from dental emergencies. We serve patients of all ages in Beenleigh, Eagleby, Mount Warren Park, Windaroo, Waterford, Edens Landing, Holmview, Pimpama, Yatala, Bethania, Alberton, Jacobs Well, and Tamborine.